Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Mid Life Crisis-Pt.1

My wife and I have been seeing a therapist...primarily for us but recently, for me. I am currently without a job and that's got me down. I've applied to two graduate programs for the fall so I DO have a goal. The only requirement I have I have left is to take the GRE. Considering the areas it covers, I consider it a waste of time and money.

I am glad there are people in the world who like and do well in math. The world needs these folks. I wonder how they would do on a test covering visual awareness and German Existentialism?

Anyway, the mere thought of having to take the GRE has me depressed. It's bad enough that I feel life is on hold, but to have someone tell me my future depends on whether I do well on a test measuring skills unassociated with my profession is hazy and undefinable.

We went to the therapist today and I was in a good mood. It seems I am always in a decent mood when we go see him. He sees me at my best. Fortunately, he listens well and gives me good advice, actually sympathizing with me today which made the whole thing seem more real.

I know my current situation will pass. I need structure and a goal. Hopefully I will be admitted to at least one grad school program I have applied to. That's the most important thing for me at this time.

No comments: