Thursday, March 17, 2005

Buffing The Floor

My father was a fanatic about buffing our wooden floors when I was a kid. He bought a commercial buffer through a relative owned, janatorial service many years ago. The thing was a monster, dragging you all over the place, left, then right, almost demolishing everything in its path. And that was when it was used correctly! So needless to say, it's hard to handle. My dad has since passed away and it looks like the buffer is being retired. My mom isn't so fanatical about her floors so she doesn't really care what its destination is.
That unholy buffer was the cause of many arguments between my father and myself. His philosophy was to keep the floor shining as long as possible by constantly working on it. My philosophy was that the shinier the floor, the more it would show scuff marks and footprints so why worry about it. I think the same way about leaf raking. Leaves are a natural covering and besides...who said a yard must be devoid of foliage (my dad for one). So the buffer's now in our storage room awaiting its fate. Daddy, I am sad that you're gone. I just can't say the same thing about your buffer.

No comments: