Monday, April 18, 2005

Admission Musings

I just found out tonight that my admission was declined by one of the MFA programs I applied to. After my interview with them, I am not surprised but a bit disappointed. I have some thoughts on the issue.

Choosing a grad program is a challenge. Distance, cost, suitability, goals, come together as characteristics to define what I might want. On their side, I suppose it is much the same. I assume they ask, "how will this person fit within our sturcture?" I want to become part of a program suited to my interests and personality as much as the school wants me for my particular attributes.

On a practical side, each college admits students who they feel will benefit from their program while adhering to their objectives. If I'm a good fit for them, then they benefit as do I. Growth happens all round.

Considering I have only one more university to hear from, I am still upbeat about the whole issue. I am not doing this at 44 for any prestige a MFA may bring but the personal growth I want as a middle aged man. It seems a natural progression to segue from being a graphic designer to attending grad school in graphic design. I do want to go and hope to hear from them soon.

No comments: