Monday, May 12, 2008

Masters Thesis Catalog Text

Below is the text that accompanied my work in the University of Houston's Masters Thesis show in April. It explains very briefly, the meaning behind my work. Enjoy.

------------
A typeface originates as part of the aesthetics of the historical period in which it is created; its final form a result of the cultural associations unique to the type designer who creates it. The associations I make as a designer between the object and what it is communicating are part of my understanding of relationships of form and meaning, visually and mentally.

A typographic form is more than a functional letter. The subtleties within its form remind me of feelings, thoughts or people. My personal experiences with others become part of how I relate to typographic form. It is a language of its own. Printed, drawn or sculpted, letterforms communicate with me as characters on a stage, each one acting according to its role. I am witness to their efforts.

No comments: